Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Style Academy #4
I chose to focus my style academy lesson on the difference between active and passive sentences. I continue to struggle with this concept in my writing because I personally like the sound of passive sentences more than active sentences. My personal writing style is using passive sentences in a more articulate way in order to get a point across. Yes, I know it may be more wordy and annoying, but to me it sounds better. 
But this is an assignment, and we are getting graded on it, so I might as well attempt to change some of my passive sentences to active sentences. 

Original Sentence: "Other students will be able to be found by our users using the search tab." 
New Sentence: "Users will be able to search for other students using the ‘search’ tab."

Overall I have learned that active sentences give a paper a more direct, simple tone. In the future I hope to write in a more active tone so that my readers will be able to understand better and get more out of my papers. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment